With naval design and engineering resources unparalleled within Australia’s defence industry, ASC is Australia’s largest specialised defence shipbuilding organisation as well as the nation’s last remaining Australian-owned prime defence contractor.
ASC’s team of 1900 Australians, including 380 engineering and technical specialists, is spread across three facilities in South Australia and Western Australia.
As the Air Warfare Destroyer Shipbuilder, ASC is managing:
- Block construction and integration, including combat and platform systems integration and fabrication;
- Subcontracting selected blocks;
- Production design;
- Planning and scheduling;
- Supply chain management for major systems and equipment;
- Platform integrated lifecycle support planning;
- Liaison with Navantia, the platform system designer; and
- Ship testing and activation.
In support of the AWD project, ASC spent $120 million upgrading its shipyard – ASC South – to allow fabrication and construction of the ship blocks, assembly of the ships, outfitting work, set-to-work of equipment and systems, and trial activities.
For further information, visit http://www.asc.com.au